Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lil' Wayne and Jesus....

I love music.  One of the things that intrigued my husband when we first met (according to him) was my diverse taste in music.  I can listen to anything from Shania Twain to Lil' Wayne and be just as content either way.  Gospel to classic rock--all in my catalog.  In church today our pastor told us a story in which music--pop music at that--gave him an exceptional spiritual experience.  The short version of the story is this:  he was riding in the car, heard a song, got convicted by the words, and realized that the song so vividly expressed how he felt about Jesus.  The song was "You Are So Beautiful To Me."  It was a very moving, touching story and as the congregation joined him in singing the chorus one couldn't help but understand the emotional journey the lyrics had sent him on.  Just beautiful.

I found myself thinking of all types of songs at this point and how they describe my relationship with Jesus.  Now, I know the song I'm going to bring up is going to have most of you sitting there with your mouths wide open, but please finish reading before you call your travel agents and book me a one way ticket to hell for blasphemy!!  Pastor Franklin spoke to us about not becoming to comfortable in our lives so we don't aim for better.  He gave us a very compelling message about becoming so comfortable in our walks with Christ that we forget to do the important things--fellowship, reading our Bibles, being support systems for our brothers and sisters.  As he spoke, then sang that song, one song popped into my head: "Comfortable" by Lil' Wayne and Babyface.  Now I KNOW many of you are wondering how I could have thought about anything dealing with Lil' Wayne in church, but seriously--give or take a couple of lines--the song really summed up what our pastor was saying. Here's (on pertinent part) what I'm talking about: (Husband (and Lil Wayne's #1 fan)--please forgive me if I'm messing up the lyrics, but this is what I hear...love you)

"I'm not saying this to shake you up,
I'm just saying this to wake you up, 
It's all good when we're making love,
All I ask--never take our love,
For granted,
For granted-love for you is real.
And if you don't love me, 
Somebody else will.
Babygirl, don't you
Ever
Get too
Comfortable!!!!"

Yes, I know that Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds nor Dewayne "Lil' Wayne" Carter had not NARY an intent to sing this at the next Christian fellowship disciple's meeting, but for me and MY relationship with Christ--it speaks!!!  The lyrics tell me that I need to WAKE UP and realize that if I'm not willing to do the things God asks--no requires--of me as his child, it's no biggie.  He's not going to sweat me or disown me, he's just going to lay back and watch me in my comfort zone--realizing that just as I've drawn farther and farther away from him there is a Christian out there welcoming his love, blessings, and peace into their lives. A Christian who has NOT gotten too COMFORTABLE in their walk with Christ to try to step out and do whatever is asked of them to "up the ante."  

No, I'm not a perfect Christian, a perfect woman, a perfect wife, mother, friend, daughter--I'M SO VERY IMPERFECT.  But I can tell you this.  I know that in order for my life to be put into the PERFECT order that God has in store for me, I have to step out of my comfort zone, do what feels a bit weird to me, and not get too....COMFORTABLE.  I'm just saying:  wouldn't you rather live not letting things be too COMFORTABLE on Earth, so that when we get to heaven we can be COMFORTABLE and not suffer the DISCOMFORTS of hell????

2 comments:

sammy said...

hey girl, this sammy morris. i saw you comment on dawn's page and thought i'd give you shout out.

im right there with you in regards to music. i have pretty much every genre in my ipod and love to shuffle through and wait to see what will play next. lil wayne? outkast? celine dion? the manhattans? its d o diverse and i wouldnt have it any other way!

also the term 'perfect christian' doesnt exist. there's so many variances in interpretation that even if there was a 'measuring stick' it would be completely inconsistent. for example, for some, simply listening to music w/ 'bad language' (whatever that means) is wrong yet you know within your heart that words are just words. im right there with you and find music to be relaxing AND it gets me hype. its also nostalgic and inspiring. so the title 'lil wayne and jesus' is alright by me!

tell peerless i said what up

Anonymous said...

like you, i am reminded of song "ouside of the box" (well at least it's chorus)

you know very well
who you are
don't let them hold you down
reach for the stars
you had a goal,
but not that many
'cause you're the only one
i'll give you good and plenty

humans by definition are imperfect beings. we know we will never reach the perfection that is Jesus Christ but as long as we strive to be Christ-like and keep our eyes on God's word, we will reach paradise.

God is everywhere...even in hip-hop!