Monday, April 20, 2009

A Real Life Phenomenon!!!

Have you ever seen raw talent?  I mean the kind of thing that happens when a 6 year old with no vocal training opens their mouths and belts out a tune comparable to the likes of Celine Dion or Whitney Houston (the old Whitney..."Greatest Love of All" style)?  Or the kind of talent that last year's "So You Think You Can Dance" winner, Joshua, exhibited having NEVER taken a formal dance class yet still winning the competition???  

Well, let me tell you:  my daughter has that type of talent when it comes to soccer.  She has been playing for a year now, and she amazes me every week at her games.  Last March she began playing soccer.  The first two games she played she just kind of ran around the field, hung out, and even played in the grass when she got in goal.  After watching that for two weeks,  Peerless decided to offer Caeden some...ahem....."incentive."  While candy, cookies, and other sweet treats may qualify as a huge bonus to some children, they do NOTHING for my 8 year old.  She--in the same way as her father--is a capitalistic entrepreneur.  The idea and opportunity to make money makes her tick.  Want her to clean her room?  Threaten her allowance.  Want her to do extra work?  Give her a bonus.  Seriously.  I know I don't have to worry about her financial security in the future, because the girl can make money.

Back to the story:  so, her father told her for every goal she scored, she'd get $100.  Now, there were some conditions to this money.  If she misbehaved TERRIBLY the total could be deducted--kind of like a swear jar.  Caeden amicably agreed!  Her next game she scored two goals....then two...then three....ending the season as the team's highest scorer.  She came out of the season much richer and so excited.

Fast forward to the fall soccer season.  Having been exposed to a little bit of the game, she came out ON FIRE.  First game: 5 goals.  Second, 3....this continued throughout the season, and she ended the season having scored in every single game.  Her money?  Oh, gradually rising.  Sure, there were nicks here and there when her mouth would get $10, $20 deducted, but she was still rolling in the dough.  Saturdays with Mimi took on a whole new meaning as she asked for "withdrawals" to go shopping.  Soccer, indeed, had it's BENEFITS!!  What was more interesting that her ability to score, however, was us noticing how she could dribble, pass, be a defender, and just an overall good player.

Now we are back in Spring Soccer, and she's back in true form.  She has, again, scored in every game!!  Yesterday, however, we thought her streak was going to come to an end.  Caeden had had an exceptional game.  She hustled, she passed, she ran....just really a good game.  She had even been in goal and didn't allow a point to be scored on her!!!  When the fourth quarter rolled around, she realized she hadn't scored, and as her mother I sensed the waterworks coming on!!!  Caeden and I made eye contact for a brief moment and I knew, without a doubt, that if she didn't score those rosy cheeks and furrowed brow were going to turn into a hot, watery, teary eyed mess, and I just couldn't stand it.  I began preparing Mimi and Peerless for the inevitable events.  I'd say, "You know if she doesn't score she's going to cry???"  or, "Please don't fuss at her if she cries--you know she really wants to score."  My pleas were more for myself than her, because I could literally almost feel her determination and desire to score.  Somewhere between fall soccer and spring soccer it has become more than just a great way to make a few extra bucks.  She somewhere along the line developed a deep love and appreciation for sport.  Three minutes left, still no score.  I had noticed Caeden becoming more aggressive and really lobbying for the ball.  One minute left, no score, and we began deep breathing exercises to get it together.  10 seconds left.  Caeden is running down the field dribbling the ball.  She's quick, she's agile, she shoots....and just like a scene out of a fantastic sports movies SHE SCORES!!!

I could immediately see her facial muscles relax and I felt myself begin breathing!!!  There is nothing quite as  bad as your child being disappointed, and I was so happy that my real life phenomenon had her streak still in tact.  You've gotta love it!

No comments: