Tuesday, August 5, 2008

School Supplies

It is that time of year, again.  The time of year when my tri-weekly Target runs become less and less enjoyable due to the constant, "Mom, we need three ring notebooks!" "Dad, I DO need a new lunchbox." "Mom, everyone has this eraser! I need it, too."  It's school supply time.

Now, please don't get me wrong: the the oldest girl starts school next Tuesday.  School supply shopping is a necessary evil in my house, as well.  I just don't understand how it becomes a social event.  Luckily this year Caeden is going to a private school.  As such, the only school supply she is to bring on the first day is her backpack. YIPPPPEEEE.  Peerless, however, does not share in my joy, as he sees the school's attempt at supply equalization as more of a ploy to overcharge us parents for the supplies they provide.  I, personally, think not having to buy supplies is a bonus.  In our house the school shopping goes like this:  Mommie (me) buys all the necessities for school (clothes, books, paper, pens, lunch making materials, book bags, kleenex, folders, hand sanitizers, sandwich bags, copying paper, and any other number of "office type" supplies teachers send letters home saying kids need.  Peerless' school supplies list consists of one item: tennis shoes.  It is his sole mission in life to make sure his daughters wear the freshest, most crisp white sneakers available.  During these times, I am reminded of one very important thing:  Peerless went to a predominantly black school where fashion was as much of a necessity as the pen  you wrote  your assignments with.  I, on the other hand, lived my life first as a military brat and then later in life as one of the, oh, 2% of black people who went to my high school.  I was offered the luxury of dressing however I wanted and being so very accepted.  Aaaaaah. The memories.

Adding to the stress of school supply shopping for Caeden is the reality that Kai Baby is starting preschool next week, as well.  I think.  Every time I ask her if she's going to school she says NO.  I'm beginning to have second thoughts about taking her to school.  She's been doing better and better at Gymboree, and I don't want to miss out on too much of her life.  What to do!!!!  I guess we'll have to wait and see what next week holds for us all.  In the meantime, I'll be sure to let you know what sneakers Caeden winds up with.

No comments: